Biz Printing USA – Advanced Graphics & Printing Services

Printing Glossary – Terms starting with B

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Back Up

How an image on one side of a printed sheet aligns with the image on the other side.


Any type that tilts to the left or backward direction; opposite of italic type.


In an illustration, any line that encircles copy or dialogue.

Base Art

Copy pasted up on the mounting board of a mechanical, as compared to overlay art. Also called base mechanical

Base line

The imaginary horizontal line upon which stand capitals, lower case letters, punctuation points, etc.

Base Negative

Negative made by photographing base art

Basic Size

The standard size of sheets of paper used to calculate basis weight in the United States and Canada

Basis weight

Basis or basic weight refers to the weight, in pounds, of a ream (500 sheets) of paper cut to a given standard size for that particular paper grade.

Bible paper

A thin but strong paper (opaque), used for bibles and books.


Usually in the book arena, but not exclusively, the joining of leafs or signatures together with either wire, glue or other means


A business or department within a printing company that does the cutting, folding, collating, drilling and other finishing operations used on printing projects.


Category of paperboard ranging in thickness from 15 to 48 points


The rubberized surfaced material secured onto a cylinder onto which the ink is transferred from the plate and then to the paper.


Any element that extends up to or past the edge of a printed page.

Blind emboss

A design or bas relief impression that is made without using inks or metal foils.

Blind Folio

A page number not printed on the page. (In the book arena, a blank page traditionally does not print a page number.) Blind Image Image debossed, embossed or stamped, but not printed with ink or foil


When ink or coating causes printed sheets of paper in a pile to stick together, causing damage when they are separated. This is normally caused by not enough anti-offset powder or too much ink, and usually ruins the printed job.


An enlargement, usually used with raphic images or photographs Blueline Prepress photographic proof made from stripped negatives where all colors show as blue images on white paper. Because ‘blueline’ is a generic term for proofs made from a variety of materials having identical purposes and similar appearances, it may also be called a blackprint, blue, blueprint, brownline, brownprint, diazo, dyeline, ozalid, position proof, silverprint, Dylux and VanDyke


A description or commentary of an author or book content positioned on the book jacket

Board Paper

General term for paper over 110# index, 80# cover or 200 gsm that is commonly used for products such as file folders, displays and post cards. Also called paperboard


In typography, the main shank or portion of a letter character other than the ascenders and descenders.

Boiler Plate

Blocks of repetitive type used and copied over and over again


A grade of durable writing, printing and typing paper that is erasable and somewhat rigid.

Bond paper

Category of paper commonly used for writing, printing and photocopying. Also called business paper, communication paper, correspondence paper and writing paper

Book Block

Folded signatures gathered, sewn and trimmed, but not yet covered

Book Paper

Types of paper usually used for printing books. Book paper text weight and is divided into uncoated or offset paper, and coated paper, which includes matte or gloss coating.


The decorative design or rule surrounding matter on a page


Inconsistent positioning of the printed image on the sheets of paper as they travel through a printing press.


A board paper of various thicknesses having a smooth finish and used for printing or drawing.

Bristol Paper

General term referring to paper 6 points or thicker with basis weight between 90# and 200# (200-500 gsm). Used for products such as index cards, file folders and displays


The term used to indicate work printed on one of a large sheet of paper

Broken Carton

Carton of paper from which some of the sheets have been sold. Also called less carton


A photographic print created on bromide paper


The effect produced by dusting wet ink after printing and using a metallic powder

Build a Color

To overlap two or more screen tints to create a new color. Such an overlap is called a build, color build, stacked screen build or tint build


A term given to paper to describe its thickness relative to its weight.


A boldface square or dot used before a sentence to emphasize its importance.

Burst Perfect Bind

To bind by forcing glue into notches along the spines of gathered signatures before affixing a paper cover. Also called burst bind, notch bind and slotted bind

Butt Register

Register where ink colors meet precisely without overlapping or allowing space between, as compared to lap register. Also called butt fit and kiss register

Buy Out

To subcontract for a service that is closely related to the business of the organization. Also called farm out. Work that is bought out or farmed out is sometimes called outwork or referred to as being out of house