Biz Printing USA – Advanced Graphics & Printing Services

Printing Glossary – Terms starting with I

Printing Glossary – Terms starting with I


# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Image area

That portion of a printing plate that carries ink and prints on paper.


The correct sequential arrangement of pages that are to be printed, along with all the margins in proper alignment, before producing the plates for printing.


(1) Referring to an ink color, one impression equals one press sheet passing once through a printing unit. (2) Referring to speed of a press, one impression equals one press sheet passing once through the press

Impression Cylinder

Cylinder, on a press, that pushes paper against the plate or blanket, thus forming the image. Also called impression roller


To print new copy on a previously printed sheet, such as imprinting an employee’s name on business cards. Also called surprint


An image and/or text pre-printed on mailing envelopes in place of a stamp.

Ink Balance

Relationship of the densities and dot gains of process inks to each other and to a standard density of neutral gray Ink Fountain Reservoir, on a printing press, that holds ink

Ink Dry Back

When printed ink colors become lighter or less dense after they have dried on the paper.

Ink Holdout

Characteristic of paper that prevents it from absorbing ink, thus allowing ink to dry on the surface of the paper. Also called holdout

Ink Jet Printing

Method of printing by spraying droplets of ink through computer-controlled nozzles. Also called jet printing

Inner Form

Form (side of the press sheet) whose images all appear inside the folded signature, as compared to outer form

In-Plant Printer

Department of an agency, business or association that does printing for a parent organization. Also called captive printer and in-house printer


A piece of printed material that is inserted into another piece of printed material, such as a magazine or catalog.


Within a publication, an additional item positioned into the publication loose (not bound in)

Intaglio Printing

Printing method whose image carriers are surfaces with two levels, having inked areas lower than noninked areas. Gravure and engraving are the most common forms of intaglio. Also called recess printing

Integral Proof

Color proof of separations shown on one piece of proofing paper, as compared to an overlay proof. Also called composition proof, laminate proof, plastic proof and single-sheet proof


Printed pages loosely inserted in a publication


A number assigned to a published work and usually found either on the title page or the back of the title page. Considered an International Standard Book Number


Text that is used to denote emphasis by slanting the type body forward.